I never thought I will said that one day. But, man ! Papier-maché is flippin’ amazing ! For different reasons :
- Super cheap
- Really strong
- Almost created by french people
- You can blow people mind when you say you did it with newspaper
For the Stage design : Zome I used this technic for molding a ball-joint and cover the eye ball. I needed something cheap and easily sourced.
It takes a lot of time to settle during each layer, but I have the chance to have a hot climate and a burning sun to help drying them.
I follow the approach invented by Ultimate Papier Maché. On my fan lid I put a first layer of newspaper cut in stripes with a mix of water and white glue. Than I put some papier maché clay/paste. I follow the same process and technics but not with the same recipe. I followed the one I learned in kindergarden !
- Warm water
- Put the shred newspaper in it
- Wait for the cellulose to absord some of the water
- Add glue
- Mix a lot
What I learned :
I didn’t use measurement, because I prefer to learn what is the right texture by muscle and visual memories. Little tips though :
- if you add more glue, it will be better for assembling two part of papier maché already dried, but it will take more time to settle.
- to smooth the surface, use a piece of wet fabric and press gently.
- you can sand it to make it smooth, or trim it easily
- if you want to paint it, find something better than sray can, didn’t really work for me
I was afraid of the ball-joint not strong enough, but, au contraire, it was really strong and never broke ! The newspaper gave a little organic/stone feeling to the eye. It was awesome !